MentorNet Societies FAQs
How does my society partner with you?
- Call us at 408.296.4405 x 0 and ask for Candice
- We will explain benefits, features, and sponsor level annual fees or how to work with us through corporate foundation grants.
My Board wants to know why we should partner with MentorNet. What should I tell them in 1 minute:
· MentorNet really works to create positive career development for protégés and mentors, as approx 60,000 use cases over 10 years have shown.
· It connects organizations to a new generation of future professionals in your particular field.
· It connects senior members to student and early career professionals within your organization, creating loyalty and an increased sense of community across 365 days.
· It enables mentoring relationships begun at member events to continue.
· Everyone wins: mentors, protégés, societies and organizations, campuses and the professions.
· It only takes fifteen minutes a week, by email, under the participants’ control.
We only want senior members to mentor current junior members. Can you do that?
We can custom-design what we call a “locked” matching program.
What happens after we reach a partnership agreement?
- · We will issue a News Release together
- · We exchange links on our websites
- · You assign a Rep who will advertise and shape the program within your organization and recruit mentors.
- · We will share our tips and best practices for getting your members excited
What are the Rep’s responsibilities?
- · Post information about your company on our website
- · Recruit mentors and proteges
- · Use your custom MentorNet dashboard to get brochures and emails to launch the program
- · Use the dashboard to look in on live data on matches, participants, reports, demographics, survey results and tools for communicating with your mentors
- · Stay in touch with us at MentorNet and communicate issues
- · Learn about new features and tools as they roll out.
- · Invite us to present our programs on best mentoring practices or help launch the program at an annual conference or local event
- · Search the resume database and post jobs to our job board.
- · Contribute as you wish to the MentorNet newsletter
How have organizations reaped the most benefits from working with MentorNet?
Over time, some have matched more than 1000 mentors to protégés and used these relationships to encourage student members to become professional members. Learning how to be a mentor under our program is also a very prized member benefit,
How come you’re so sure about MentorNet’s success and effectiveness?
We are a data-driven research-based organization. We survey every mentor and protégé and collect demographic data on every participant (which we keep private and anonymous). As a non-profit, our work and rigorous reporting has been supported by the National Science Foundation.
I’ve heard about your Special Projects. What are they?
Here are just a few:
- · AT&T sponsored us to reach engineering students at Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
- · IBM sponsored us to reach engineering students at universities in Africa
- · The NSF sponsored us to develop a special e-mentoring social network exclusively for women of color in STEM
- · Texas Instruments, Rockwell Collins and others sponsored our Latinas in Computing mission.
- · 3M, Land O Lakes and Medtronic sponsored us to develop Minnesota MentorNet, binding together the Minnesota State College and University system, private companies and high tech organizations for economic and workforce development in the state.
- · Texas Instruments sponsored MentorNet access for students at Texas campuses with large Hispanic populations
- · Intel Foundation promotes MentorNet in New Mexico, Arizona and Oregon.